Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Corrections and Retractions

Dear readers, here are some important notifications on corrections and retractions pertaining to my pre-baptismal writings.

On Immoral Music
I apologize for my immoral post about my favorite songs. These songs, at least one of which contained blasphemous lyrics, were pleasing to the ears but are destructive to the soul. What good am I if I lead my readers to sin? "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea" [Mt 18:6]. What good is music if it does not glorify the Lord our God? I thank my friends and family for giving me the gift of Christian music to listen to.

On the Sanctity of Girolamo Savonarola
Now I venerate Girolamo Savonarola as a martyr, and I thank the zealous Dominican hieromonk for his gracious help in my daily life. Not a few popes acknowledged him as a saint, and the in-progress hyperlinked post mentions 12 non-papal saints who were devoted to Savonarola as wayfarers.
On the Theology of Ronald L. Conte, Jr.
1. There are several key areas in which I have long disagreed with Conte, and some of his recently expressed attitudes regarding speculative theology are a source of grave concern to me.

2. Two years in a row he has falsely predicted that the "miracle of Garabandal" called "the Warning" will occur on Good Friday of such and such a year, and he continues to make excuses as to why it did not occur this year but will occur the next year.

3. I strongly disagree with his endorsement of the so-called Marian apparitions at Medjugorje. Vicka Ivanković's statement that the Blessed Mother is not calling all people to be Catholic is enough to disqualify the alleged apparitions as genuine (her statment is qtd. in Janice T. Connell, The Visions of the Children: The Apparitions of the Blessed Mother at Medjugorje, Revised and Updated Edition, (New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2007), 133. <https://books.google.com/books?id=KUIGAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA133#v=onepage&q&f=false>

4. I also reject his statements that the Blessed Virgin Mary was not conceived as the result of sexual relations between Sts. Joachim and Anne (July 26); in my repudiation of this over a year ago, however, I failed to distinguish between the active and passive conception of Our Lady.

5. I'm not a cleric or canon lawyer, I need to point out that Conte's claim that Christ will judge all men at His "Third Coming" (rather than the Second Coming), if obstinately insisted on, must be considered heresy (CIC 751) which incurs latae sententiae excommunication (CIC 1364 §1), because the dogma of the Church is that Christ will judge everyone at His Second Coming (see Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Dr. Ludwig Ott).

On the Sanctity of St. Gregory Palamas
I no longer wish to inquire or stir up debate and discussion about the reasons for the Church's declaration on the sanctity of St. Gregory Palamas (Second Sunday of Great Lent). Thanks be to God Who initiated me into the Church this Easter Vigil, my present attitude is one of simple faith and pious submission. Does not the formal institution of the feast of St. Gregory Palamas in several Eastern Catholic Churches by the Holy See in 1971 pertain to the second added paragraph of the Profession of Faith? The Magisterium knows best, and its (at least) equivalent canonization (I don't know all the details, since I haven't found the information in AAS) means that before he reposed, St. Gregory Palamas must have repented of any anti-Catholic beliefs he previously expressed, in light of the dogma of extra ecclesiam nulla salus est.
Errors Pointed out by Good Readers
I still have to respond to several corrections pointed out by good and faithful readers; forgive me, brothers and sisters, for my delayed action.

1. On Pope St. Alexander I of Rome (106-115), who has helped me get through tough workouts in lifeguarding class: The reader Basil pointed out to me that the holy pontiff no longer is commemorated with a feast on May 3, but he is still commemorated in the Roman Canon of the Mass. Thank you and God bless you, Basil!

Revised 11/25/2016

No comments: