Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Bad News

1. This week before vacation starts has begun on a very bad note. I didn’t do as well as I would have liked to in the track meet. I don’t remember my triple jump measurements but they were probably unremarkable. For the 600 I ran hard but was trapped for the second 300 meters behind a tiny wall of kids through which I could not pass. I only had the last 25 meters to switch lanes and pass a kid or two and I think I placed well. For the 4x400 I ran a 62 but I wanted to get 58; at this point that’s hard to do since it’s indoors and I don’t have fresh legs. Once I can do a 58 or better indoors after other races I’ll be able to say that I’m in shape.
2. I had to get up yesterday at 4:33 or so and get a ride to an animal hospital, where my beloved cat Oliver was put to sleep. He had been sleeping in the hall outside my room and lying down, and I later found out that he was dragging himself around yesterday morning. He was only nine years old and he had a blood clot from a heart disorder which caused him severe pain and prettymuch paralyzed his hind legs. I was very sick yesterday; I've been ill for a week or so and my sinuses are infected. The right side of my face is very swollen. At the concert last night I had a really tough time not crying during the six songs. I cried for hours and prayed to God, repeatedly giving Him thanks for the blessing of being able to spend quality time with Oliver the minutes before he died, and for all the fun I've had with him over the years since we took him home when he was just a kitten. My brother and I gave him some middle names to make him Oliver Quentin Ulysses Huysman. He was so dear and his death is shocking and surprising. I also prayed that none of my other pets would have to die prematurely. My family and I have so many good memories of cute Oliver which we are going to write down tonight. You couldn't ask for a better, more adorable cat. Praise the Lord for blessing my family with the best cat in the world!
3. I'm going to track practice today. I got to school only for the last two periods yesterday and my doctor told me not to go to practice yesterday so I didn't; always follow doctors' orders. I'm on antibiotics so hopefully I'll be good to go by the time I finish extra help.

To be continued...

No comments: