Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Holtz Misinterprets Jn 5:30

In AAC.2002 Brian Holtz quotes Jn 5:30: "By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me." Holtz incorrectly interprets this as Jesus denying that He is omnipotent since the Father can act of Himself. Jn 5:19 makes it clear that Jesus (the Son) and the Father have the same power; Jesus' power is derived from the Father's in His eternal generation; i.e., the Father commands in the sense of eternally giving the Son knowledge and will to act by begetting Him. Jesus and the Father always work together. Jesus affirms His omnipotence (with respect to the execution of His own will, according to St. Thomas Aquinas in his Summa Theologica) [Jn 6:35-40].

No comments: