Friday, April 07, 2006

America's Best and Brightest

AP World History was quite a farce today. Classmates thought that Muhammad founded Buddhism, that Islam was polytheistic, that Islam was founded in India, that the Exodus and Diaspora were of little historical significance (this was said by a Jewish girl!), and other things that were way off the mark. When I started answering questions about the beliefs and political, etc. effects of various religions, a classmate said it was easy for me because I had my study sheet out, and my teacher pointed out that I was the only one who bothered to fill any of it out. I didn't really refer to it because I have lots of outside knowledge from the research and reading I do, which I mentioned. It was pathetic that I seemed to know more about Judaism than the snobby girl I mentioned above, but most of my stuff was from common knowledge since I don't really research Judaism in depth at this time. It was basic: Torah, Talmud, Old Testament, Ten Commandments, Abraham, Moses, Exodus, Diaspora, Messiah had not arrived yet. Before the class discussion we worked with groups of 3 or 4 and I told my classmates everything we need to know for the AP test in those areas, and they seemed to treat me with skepticism, because they didn't copy the items down until the teacher mentioned them; they should've known that these were items we covered and therefore were important. This girl was very hostile to Christianity, saying in a nasty tone of voice that it was "intolerant." I knew this to be false, so it was only her manners that bothered me.

It seems that in some individuals intelligence quotient and common sense are inversely proportional.

No comments: