Saturday, March 25, 2006

Video Game Nostalgia

CounterStrike, which I've played but have yet to download, is easily one of the best videogames ever made. It totally deserves the 98% PC Magazine assigned it. I think the best compilation of Nintendo games on a single cartridge is "Super Mario All Stars & World." I've beaten all the games, but I've been playing them regularly for about 7 years and still having as much fun as the first day.

Emulators and ROMs are still available here and there. It's a shame the site http://mame.dk no longer has the ROM files posted. I still would have many classic arcade games for MacMAME if one of my computers (an iMac) didn't mysteriously crash many years ago. It was relatively new and worked fine, and I think my youngest brother had something to do with it. To get the computer to work at all Apple had to wipe the hard drive, thus the arcade games are lost. Luckily, many arcade games are becoming available in the Flash format on gaming sites.

The ROMs I lost (and miss!) include Donkey Kong, Crazy Kong, Food Fight!, Bump-N-Jump, Mario Bros., Vigilante, Galaga, Gingateikoku No Gyakushuu (LOL), Red Alert, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, I'm Sorry [1], Centipede, Millipede, Balloon Fight, Gauntlet I & II, Ghouls n Ghosts, Bubble Bobble, Dig Dug I & II, Cheeky Mouse, Frogger, Heli Fire, Pac-Man Plus, Joust, Karate Champ, Missile Command, Mr. Do!, Q*Bert, Duck Hunt, Puckman, Punch-Out!!, Swarm, Tempest, Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns, Donkey Kong Junior, and a few others I can't recall at the moment. I hope these games some day get re-released for new systems. Some of them are available on the Namco Video Game Museum series.

[1] I'm Sorry is a bizarre 1985 Coreland/Sega game featuring enemies Carl Lewis, Michael Jackson, Japanese comedian Tamori, and professional wrestler Giant Baba. When you get caught by the men in sunglasses they wear S&M clothes and whip you while you wear a diaper.












No comments: