Thursday, March 16, 2006

Thank God I'm Back In Action!

Today I got to play gym for the first time since mid-November. I race-walked on the track for the routine warmup lap and played knockout, taking it really easy and not really jumping (taking set shots). It's a pleasant surprise that my shot is still pretty decent despite the lack of practice. I can only run on treadmills and soft surfaces like wood for the next couple of weeks; I'll be able to run on hard outdoor surfaces like the road on April 7, after building up leg muscle so that my bone isn't taking all the stress. I'm still going to rehab for a couple more weeks for these purposes and to help my patellar tendonitis. The site http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/tibia-stress-fracture.html describes with perfect accuracy the symptoms I experienced. My leg started to feel very tight (an "annoying irritation") and I thought it was muscle cramps or something, but then became "a throbbing torment." There was "a hard nodule [that] appear[ed] on the surface of the bone at the trouble site," which I was concerned about during the month I was unaware of the fact that it was a stress fracture because intensive icing didn't reduce the swelling there. My stress fracture was probably mostly because of overtraining (there was probably too little protection of my tibia because my shin muscles were extremely fatigued), but maybe a protein deficiency could have contributed; I know I wasn't eating perfectly, but I think I did OK with protein--I forget. "The best prevention includes the consumption of a nutritionally adequate diet, avoidance of too-rapid increases in the volume and intensity of training, and the utilization of special exercises which promote the fatigue resistance of shin muscles (remember that your shin muscles are less able to protect your tibias when they are tired)." I am definitely going to follow these precautions.




No comments: