Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Brian Holtz on Parsimony, Theism, and Descartes

Evidence for the Divine & Whether Monotheism Is Parsimonious
Holtz says that there is no credible evidence or convincing argument that the universe's existence implies supernatural agency, but this is false. There is the cosmological argument, which passes the acid test, in addition to several other compelling arguments and evidences. Holtz says that parsimony demands that supernatural agency be held not to exist until shown otherwise, but monotheism is parsimonious because God has been shown to exist.

I Think, Therefore I Am
On an epistemological note, Holtz says that "Cogito Ergo Sum" is false because the "I" in Descartes' "I think, therefore I am" "could be illusory". However, "I" cannot be illusory or the a priori notion of "I" could not exist.
The image “http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/Descartesweb.jpg/180px-Descartesweb.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.